Conducting Serious Incident Investigations
Self Paced Online Course
LRA is offering our Conducting Serious Incident Investigations course in an online self-paced format.
This course is designed to teach participants the fundamental principles of investigation including the role of speed, thoroughness and objectivity in conducting investigations; collecting and preserving physical evidence; interviewing witnesses and obtaining written statements; collecting other documentary evidence; and reconciling conflicting testimonial evidence. LRA will also offer the exam for Level I Certified Investigator to those who complete the course.
This course consists of 14 modules which must be completed within 21 days in order for participants to receive credit. The course consists of the following teaching methodologies:
- Reading assignments: Participants will be assigned reading from the Investigations Manual or handouts to be completed prior to listening to a lecture or completing a written assignment or quiz.
- Recorded lectures: Most of the modules include a recorded lecture on the topic.
- Commentary: Some modules will include additional content related to the topic.
- Individual assignments: Many modules require that participants complete an online written assignment. After completing each assignment, the participant will review his or her results with the expected answers provided by LRA. The instructor will review the assignments for completeness.
- Quizzes: Some modules will be followed by short quizzes. The quizzes are graded online and results provided with an explanation for the correct response. Participants must score 70 or above to continue to the next module or topic. Quizzes may be taken as many times as needed.
- Demonstration of skills: Modules on interviewing and taking statements include a video demonstration of those skills.
- Practice with the instructor: Each participant will have the opportunity to practice conducting an interview and taking a written statement with the instructor via Zoom.
An instructor will be assigned to you and provide the following support:
- Available to answer any questions submitted via email regarding the course content.
- Review of assignments for quality and completeness.
- Monitoring of course progress to promote completing the course on schedule.
- Assist in developing skills for interviewing and taking written statements through practice role plays via Zoom.
Class schedule: Once you begin the course, you must complete all modules within 21 days.
Exam (optional): An exam time will be scheduled after you complete the class. The exam will be administered online with live proctoring via webcam video.
Cost of the course: $624 for the course
Cost of the exam (optional): $189 per person
Registration: You may register online using the ‘Register’ button above. Please contact Carolyn Slocum at (512) 289-1854 or [email protected] for any questions about registration. If you are an agency registering eleven or more persons, a group rate will be available. Please contact Laura Nuss at (202) 355-0799 or [email protected] to inquire about group rates.
Payment: LRA will accept debit or credit card at the time of registration for the class. If an agency registers a group, checks will be accepted. Make checks payable to: RCM Training and Consulting, LLC Federal I.D. #87-3798573. Please contact Carolyn Slocum at (512) 289-1854 or [email protected] for any questions about making a payment by check.